A space frame, also called a space structure, is a truss-like structure comprising of struts that are interconnected in a geometric pattern that is both strong and lightweight.
Space frame architecture has been more prominent in the last few decades and is now evolving globally.
Types of Space Frames
Depending on the curvature and how the elements are arranged, there are numerous kinds of space frames described below:
Classification based on Curvature
1. Space Plane Covers
Spatial structures are mostly made up of planar substructures. The planes are channeled through the horizontal bars, while the diagonals are responsible for supporting the shear forces.
2. Barrel Vaults
The cross-section of barrel vaults resembles a simple arch, with tetrahedral modules or pyramids typically used as a unit component.
3. Spherical Domes
A spherical dome is constructed from an intricate network of steel sections. Typically uses tetrahedral modules or pyramids with skin support.
Applications of Space Frame Structure
- Commercial and Industrial Buildings
- Conference Hall
- Shopping Malls
- Airplane Hangars
- Toll booths
- Exhibition Center
- Sports stadiums
Advantages of Space Frame Structures
- Because of their extreme sturdiness and lightweight nature, space frame structures provide the most precise load distribution.
- Space frames benefit from being lightweight, mass-produced, stiff, and versatile compared to other common structures.
- The space frame structures’ prefabricated parts make installation relatively simple.
- Space frame buildings are highly portable and manageable.
- These kinds of buildings provide good cambering facilities.
- Excellent acoustic qualities may be found in space frame constructions.
- It doesn’t require purlins.
- It is better suited for buildings with irregular plan shapes and sites.
- Also appropriate for a larger-span construction.
- It offers an explicit term without a column.
- By offering a mid-column, this structure eliminates the necessity for geometric stability.
- It offers a significant spawn at low altitudes.
- It offers a little amount of deflection.
- It offers affordable transit prices.
Disadvantages of Space Frame Structures
- Space frame trusses may be utilized for long spans without interior load-bearing supports, making them ideal for platforms or roofs.
- Frame connections such as welding, bolting, or threading might create space.